Help is on offer for elderly residents in Stafford Borough to keep them warm in their homes. The Borough Council has teamed up with Orbit Care and Repair and the Citizen’s Advice Bureaux to offer help and advice to older residents and other vulnerable people in the borough.
Warm homes - healthy people
The scheme includes emergency heating repairs and providing temporary heaters, as well as carrying out warm home checks and offering specialist advice on energy saving. Until the end of March 2012, Orbit can offer:
- FREE temperature alarm to sound the alert if your room temperature falls too low
- FREE portable heaters (on temporary loan)
- FREE warm home checks
- Financial assistance towards the cost of replacing or repairing your heating system (subject to certain conditions)
- FREE energy advice
You may be eligible if you are:
- over 75
- frail or disabled
- have a cardiovascular or respiratory illness or other chronic medical condition
- have arthritis causing limited mobility or increased risk of falls
The Borough Council and other organisations have secured funding from the government to help local people keep their homes warm this winter. Residents who think they may be entitled to help should contact Orbit Care and Repair on 01785 619684 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Staffordshire Warm Homes project
The new initiatives are part of the Staffordshire Warm Homes project, which builds on the work done by the council, the NHS and voluntary organisations to give practical help and advice to vulnerable people in poorly heated homes. For more advice on affordable warmth go to www.staffordbc.gov.uk/housing.
Citizens Advice Bureau
Contact their Adviceline on 08444 111 444 for advice on fuel debt, benefit claims, or energy tariffs.